Re: [ossig] CARAM Asia and Linux- Need Some Help

You left out one advantage of Mandrake. Mandrake's default configuration is a lot more secure than those of Red Hat. R-services and telnet are usually not install. You can even set the security setting to a very high level. It come with packages that allows a far more easier firewall configuration (text file not gui). You can even select a secure kernel as your kernel.

On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 09:10 AM, Venantius Kumar wrote:

Why Not try Linux-Mandrake.

I am using it as file & print server in my organisation (www.agathiar.org)
and I find it easy to set it up and administer as well.

regards,
Venantius.

----- Original Message -----
From: <lesly@catholic.org>
To: <ossig@mncc.com.my>
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 5:44 PM
Subject: [ossig] CARAM Asia and Linux- Need Some Help

Hello,

Lesly here. I came for the first workshop organised by the MNCC and OSSIG
in December for NGOs and schools. Sorry for not joining the forum, been
very busy. But here we are.

We are an NGO network consisting of 12 organisations spread over 11
countries.
We are thinking of introducing OSS to the whole network and we are trying
it out first within the secretariat.

Check out www.caramasia.gn.apc.org to find out more
We have recently had over an expert to help us setup Linux Red Hat 8 in
our office for 2 weeks. We have set up a LTSP server but we have been
having problems with printing through the LTSP server and all.

What would be the best way to setup printing and file sharing? Any good
websites to check out?

Is it okay to install Redhat straight to the harddisk? We have good
hardware here and won't want to waste it by just using LTSP.

We have 10 PCs within the office and we are all not very familiar with
LINUX. We have an ISDN connection and a WEBRamp Modem with Dlink Ethernet
cards.

We have tried a few implementations of linux, such as Knoppix, Red Hat on
harddisk and LTSP.

What would be the bset setup for us? The needs of an NGO are quite
different from a corporate entity.

Thanks

Meet the Reluctant Saint, Palm Sunday, April 13, 7pm ET/PT,
on Hallmark Channel. http://www.reluctantsaint.tv

During the Lenten Season, please help support the mission of
Catholic Online by purchasing goods and services from our sponsors
at http://www.catholic.org/clife/lent