Re: [ossig] Expensive Open Source PC?

Quoting Heng Sin Low <lowhs2001@yahoo.com>:

> Nothing can beat pirate software, it cost almost nothing to the shop
> selling
> it!
>
> In short, for opensource consumer s/w to be wide spread use in
> Malasysia,
> piracy needs to be reduce.

Indeed, that is precisely the point and the presence of pirated Microsoft
software not only here but also in Singapore (I saw one nrevous pirated
software vendor in Sim Lim Square, SIngapore) literally pulls the rug from
under not only open source software but also freeware and shareware and
of course the original.

Moreover, while companies like Microsoft and organisations like the BSA
seek to prosecute pirated software vendors and users, pirated software also
inadvertantly helps entrench their position by making users so accustomed
and dependant on using their software that they refuse to change.

And if the open source movement calls for the authorities to crack down on
pirated software, it will not go down well with consumers and I expect it will
backfire on us.

Charles