Re: [ossig] dual licencing, how does it works?

OK, got the point about dual licencing and how it works. It will never violates any of the Open Source licence after reading this PDF.

http://www.hiit.fi/u/valimaki/dual_licensing.pdf

Basically, the main requirement it the software must be owned by one owner only. As the owner, they can do whatever they want with the software, including licensing it to other company under different licence from the Open Source licence.

In order to have full control over the source, the code contributed by other open source programmer must be rewritten by the owner or person hired by the owner (programmer that work with the company).

Other way of having full control over the source is by signing a assignment paper (like FSF do), so that the source can be assigned to FSF. This way, any GPL violation case can be represented by FSF on behalf of the GPL programmer. See http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AssignCopyright

The end user has two choises. If they want to use the Open Source version, then the program that utilise the Open Source version must also be open sourced (or using the same licence, if GPL). If they dont want to open source their code, then they have to use the commercial licence.

Dual licensing, from what I understand, can only be used on a specific software (database, GUI-toolkit). If the company is a system integrator, I cannot see how can they use this kind of licence in their business, because they do not own the software that they integrate.

Interesting concept, and BTW, GPL permits selling Free Software for money, see http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/selling.html

The only point that should be noted is, after you sell the software, say for RM 100, to a company or person, that consumer have the right to make a copy and post it to the Internet and distribute them for free, because they have the rights to do so, under GPL.

So, that's why people dont charge for GPL software :)
Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan