[ossig] Backup of running system ?

Maybe I'm on the stupid line today, but I was asking myself if and how
the backup of a running system could be done without too much hassle?
Would a tar starting at / be possible? Or a cp -a?
I am not looking at clustering, RAID 1 or so. Just a simple operation to
another drive or machine. With a high probability that everything is
back on - let's say - a new harddisk that has been partitioned and
formatted manually with an ensuing operation reverse to the first one.
Partimage, a dear friend to me, is excluded because it needs a prior
umount. umount / defies a running system.

Uwe