Re: [ossig] SMTP question

to say 'it's up to your ISP and their policy',

a workaround might be to rent a low-end dedicated
server at some reputable hosting farm (Malaysia
or international) and send the mail to there.

In my personal capacity that's what I do : I
have a dedicated server hosted in UK from years ago,
and I recv/send all my incoming and outgoing email
from/to there.   That also gives me the ability to
put server-side antivirus, antispam etc, and
save my local (dialup) bandwidth for other stuff.
(Unfortunately, my server is so old I can't upgrade
perl and I can't get server-side antispam to work,
but that's a different story).

Then when I hear stories about how (insert ISP name
here)'s SMTP gateway is down/slow/dropping emails,
I just shrug and move on.

It does mean that if Malaysia loses international
connectivity, I can't get local mails, though.

Just a thought.  A dedicated server somewhere
with fast bandwidth is a boon for every geek/SME.

Imran

Seah Hong Yee wrote:
> Guys
>

> I been thinking of running an smtp server behind my ip-masqueraded network.
> Actually I have done it a while back. The reason why I did not continue
> running it was because I am not sure what would the implication be. Would
> remote mailserver reject mail from my network because it come from a private
> network ip ? or when they can't reverse the address ?
>
> Thanks.

Imran William Smith
Project Manager, Open Source Development,
MIMOS Berhad, Malaysia

Asian Open Source Centre : http://www.asiaosc.org
MIMOS Open Source        : http://opensource.mimos.my