Re: [ossig] (Fwd) an email from a malaysian chinese from australia.

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 11:16 am, Tze-Meng Tan wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 08:33 AM, nsh@pop.jaring.my wrote:

OS class teaches mainly theory of OS. Some even asked you to write a small OS
to complete the course.  Seems to me he really did not appreciate the class,
as he would realise OS X is a good implementation of 2BSD and 3 BSD on top of
the Mach Kernel.

> > As for Business I.T student, i agreed with "Windows are turning
> > Business
> > I.T
> > graduate into idiots", i have friends who's doing Business I.T and they
> > are
> > learning ASP.net and Oracle SQL programming, and they think those
> > things
> > are
> > just a waste of time and won't help them much in the real world.Then
> > again,
> > none of us know what's the real world is gonna be like.
>
> You are right....
> I think the problem is Business IT is a "hmm, we can sell more business
> courses if we add an IT flavour to it" course. That is neither here nor
> there. Potentially it can be good if the course creators taught stuff
> which budding CTO's and CEO's can use to enhance their
> business....practical things like "how to save money and not be locked
> into proprietary vendor products" or "project management of IT
> projects" or "business cases for technology in <name your field>"...but
> they don't, why ? Earlier in your email you answered this question.

In a lot of schools, such courses are put consider decision information
science. A lot of theory on data structure and relational mathematics were
taught.   When I was in school Oracle on VMS was the main platform students
were taught in. (mainly because it was given to them) Back then people do
care about if tables are properly normalised.  Not sure about now, but if the
intention is to teach students how to write SQL statements then something is
wrong.