Re: [ossig] (Fwd) an email from a malaysian chinese from australia.

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 14:16, Tze-Meng Tan wrote:
> a Mac Powerbook with OS X for work, email
> a windows 98 machine with a good graphics card for games - u can't play
> Homeworld 2 on Mac or FreeBSD
>
> I like them all for what they do best

exactly. till you've tried them, and then gotten frustrated, no point
dissing the OS. i've tried OS X for about two months, developing, using,
etc... on a daily basis. for my needs, it didn't match, so Linux runs on
my Mac ;-)

i hope that's what they're trying to teach (or at least making you
think) at universities - choose the right tool for the right job!

> You are right....
> I think the problem is Business IT is a "hmm, we can sell more business
> courses if we add an IT flavour to it" course. That is neither here nor
> there. Potentially it can be good if the course creators taught stuff
> which budding CTO's and CEO's can use to enhance their
> business....practical things like "how to save money and not be locked
> into proprietary vendor products" or "project management of IT
> projects" or "business cases for technology in <name your field>"...but
> they don't, why ? Earlier in your email you answered this question.

universities are degree mills, and money making cash cows. education is
a priority, but so is the money behind it.

wanting to churn out what is potentially wanted is important, but i
think the system is flawed. especially in the IT world, where things
change so quickly. if you were an anthropology student, universities
have got it right - not if you're in a fast paced industry.

my experiences are such.
--
Colin Charles, byte@aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/