Re: [ossig] XFree86 core disbands!

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 10:42:45PM -0800, Mukhsein Johari wrote:
> Wow...I knew the problems were bad, now I know just
> how bad. I hope 4.4.0 _does_ get out soon, though
> since it would probably be some time before things
> settle down again...
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/devel@xfree86.org/msg04639.html

Is it bad? From what I've heard, it's the core that has been holding
back development (one of them doesn't even use X any more).

And things are already moving towards development/maintaining the
different parts of XFree86 such as the libs and servers at
freedesktop.org.

For those using FreeBSD, Eric Anholt has started committing the ports to
start using freedesktop's XFree86 libraries in the near future. What
this means is further decoupling of the XServer (which may be more than
one) with the X libs.

PGP signature