Re: [ossig] looking for open source CADCAM sw

Maya is professional rendering software (mainly used for films etc)
that was originally written for Irix and Windows, but one of the major
studios forced the manufacturers to port to Linux.  It's a full port
(no doubt with help from the Irix tree) rather than emulation.

http://www.alias.com/eng/index.shtml

Unfortunately it costs vast amounts (2000->7000 USD).
The personal learning edition is a cutdown
version and cannot load the 'full' version's files.
But it's a (free-as-in-beer) download, but the learning edition
does not run on Linux.

But then, this is not really cad-cam.  It's for making things look real.
But you can do simulation of solids (e.g. collisions, pendulums,
etc).

Imran

Nan Phin wrote:
> thanks colin.
> how abt proprietary sw that run on linux, any recommendation?
>
> best wishes.
>
> Colin Charles wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 13:14, Nan Phin wrote:
>>
>>>any recommendation?
>>
>>QCad is quite impressive for 2D work.
>>
>>For modelling/rendering work, in 3D even, Blender has got high ratings.
>>
>>That said, I know of people that run AutoCad in vmware (with about 768MB
>>of RAM) on a daily basis and have no complaints with it. Not open
>>source, but you could still use your favourite OS :)
>>--
>>Colin Charles, byte@aeon.com.my
>>http://www.bytebot.net/

> --
>
> best wishes.
> /nan phin
>
> Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Imran William Smith
Project Manager, Open Source, MIMOS Berhad, Malaysia

Asian Open Source Centre : http://www.asiaosc.org
MIMOS Open Source        : http://opensource.mimos.my