Re: [ossig] looking for open source CADCAM sw

Looks like free-as-in beer.  I see no mention of licensing,
indeed it seems the source code is not available to download
at all, under any license.

But it does fit the original request of CAD software that
runs *on* linux ...

 From the author's CV, http://www.askoh.com/webcv.html, it seems
he has 'open sourced' some other software - e.g. his 'STCad'
software is under LGPL.

Imran

Azrin Zainal Abidin wrote:
> come out in the news sometime back.
>
> http://www.askoh.com/
>
> continue developing ‘freeCAD’: 3D CAD with Motion Simulation.
> http://www.askoh.com
> 'freeCAD' is a basic 3D CAD with advanced Motion Simulation
> capabilities. It is suitable for anyone interested in learning for free
> before using more sophisticated packages. Educators, students and new
> engineers will find it ideal for the teaching and learning of geometry,
> kinematics, dynamics, vibrations, mechanisms, linkages, cams, machine
> design and physics. The program runs on Windows, Linux PC, Macintosh PPC
> and other Unix's. It is a FREEWARE which is sponsor supported.
>

> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 08:44, Imran William Smith wrote:
>
>>Maya is professional rendering software (mainly used for films etc)
>>that was originally written for Irix and Windows, but one of the major
>>studios forced the manufacturers to port to Linux.  It's a full port
>>(no doubt with help from the Irix tree) rather than emulation.
>>
>>http://www.alias.com/eng/index.shtml
>>
>>Unfortunately it costs vast amounts (2000->7000 USD).
>>The personal learning edition is a cutdown
>>version and cannot load the 'full' version's files.
>>But it's a (free-as-in-beer) download, but the learning edition
>>does not run on Linux.
>>
>>But then, this is not really cad-cam.  It's for making things look real.
>>But you can do simulation of solids (e.g. collisions, pendulums,
>>etc).
>>
>>Imran
>>
>>Nan Phin wrote:
>>
>>>thanks colin.
>>>how abt proprietary sw that run on linux, any recommendation?
>>>
>>>best wishes.

>>>--
>>>
>>>best wishes.
>>>/nan phin
>>>
>>>Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Imran William Smith
Project Manager, Open Source, MIMOS Berhad, Malaysia

Asian Open Source Centre : http://www.asiaosc.org
MIMOS Open Source        : http://opensource.mimos.my