Re: [ossig] Linux live cds - "Unix is hard to install"

The only big disadvantages I see with Live CDs:

1) if you assume the HDD is untouchable, where do you
store your info?  If you have a roming profile where
all your data lives on a server and needs username+password
to access, no problem.

2) you have no CD-ROM drive to play music etc.  Less
problem than it used to be.

I wonder whether any organisation could seriously standardize
on a live-CD desktop?  - using PCs with no HDD, only local CDROM,
all persistent data stored for each user at the server.

Then you could deploy updated desktop software for each user at
minimal cost, you could even put some kind of version number on
the liveCD and block the older versions from logging into a central server,
thereby ensuring people were using a recent version (good for
ensuring security patches).

It's sort of thin client idea, sort of not.  Any thoughts?

Imran

--
Imran William Smith
Project Manager, Open Source, MIMOS Berhad, Malaysia

Asian Open Source Centre : http://www.asiaosc.org
MIMOS Open Source        : http://opensource.mimos.my