Re: [ossig] Linux live cds - "Unix is hard to install"

Live CDs don't necessarily have to assume the HDD is untouchable. You
just don't boot off it. It's not that hard to configure a live CD to
automatically detect and mount HDD partitions upon bootup.

That way, you can always set the user to have (assuming current GUI
interface concepts) "My Documents (server)" and "My Documents (this
machine)" shortcuts in their file selection dialogs.

I like the idea of Live CDs as a way to control desktop environments and
upgrades though. Much better than having to manage a LAN of standard
desktops and worry that someone is going to get compromised or virus
infected. With Live CDs, most problems are solved with a reboot.

On Thursday 08 January 2004 10:27, Imran William Smith wrote:
> The only big disadvantages I see with Live CDs:
>
> 1) if you assume the HDD is untouchable, where do you
> store your info?  If you have a roming profile where
> all your data lives on a server and needs username+password
> to access, no problem.

<snip>

--
Kenneth Wong
IOSN Programme Consultant, UNDP-APDIP, Malaysia