Re: [ossig] Linux live cds - "Unix is hard to install"

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:43:44 +0800
Imran William Smith <iwsmith@mimos.my> wrote:

> > here is where the thumbdrive comes in handy.
> > i believe for most important data, a 128 or 256 would be sufficient right?
>
> I meant more as a corporate standard / mass deployment
> rather than individual user.

i know, but why does a thumbdrive does not fit in to the picture? unless you want something with centralized database and security. then of course network server plus CD would do.

> > but an upgrade for a corperation with 50 people would mean a 50CDs expenditure :)
>
> That's not much : about RM50. Plus maybe RM2-3k to co-ord
> the release and burn the new version, assuming no major changes.
> Sitting 1 sysadmin down at 50 desktops for 15 minutes
> each to uninstall, upgrade OpenOffice and reinstall because the user
> doesn't know how to do that in Linux would soon reach RM3k.
>
> I.e. I believe the labour costs of deployment dwarf any
> costs for physical CDs etc.

true, true. and what if we compare this with thin client? any advantage over that?

rgrds, SianLun