Re: [ossig] Microsoft Pumps $1 Bln Into UN Computer Aid ?

Perhaps our friends at APDIP/UNDP could comment on how that will 'integrate'
with open source initiatives like IOSN?

How will UN ensure that "centers are free to expand with other software,
including open source software such as Linux"?

I'm concerned this another example of MS throwing cash at another high profile
attempt to evaluate and promote open source (UN is pretty high profile these days!).
Microsoft has a lot of cash to throw, around US$52,000,000,000 at the last count,
http://www.nasdaq.com/asp/quotes_reports.asp?symbol=MSFT&selected=MSFT&page=stockreports .

Interesting, from that page, that their last quarter sales was US$8.2 billion,
but the cost of goods sold was US$1.5 billion.  Is that good value for the
customer?  What's the US$2 billion on 'selling and admin expenses'?  Does that
mean they spend more on advertising etc. than on product development?

Thanks,
Imran

Nan Phin wrote:
> U.S. software giant Microsoft said on Friday it would pump $1 billion of
> cash and software into a computer training program it has set up with the
> United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
>
> "The scale of the program we have here is quite unusual in terms of
> corporate giving. It's $1 billion over five years and that represents both
> cash and software," Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates told journalists at the
> World Economic Forum.
>
> The United Nations will work with the Microsoft Unlimited Potential program
> to invest in community centers in poor regions where people can learn how to
> use personal computers and enhance their job prospects.
>
> The announcement follows a pilot project in Afghanistan where the two
> organizations set up centers at 16 locations, aiming to train 12,000 users
> this year.
>
> UNDP administrator Mark Malloch Brown said the ambition was "to hook up the
> world to the Internet."
>
> Microsoft would donate cash and the latest versions of its software, but the
> centers were free to expand with other software, including open source
> software such as Linux, Gates said.
>
> "They'll be adding software from other providers. There's no exclusivity,"
> he said. "Our role is to bring software that is quite popular, and happens
> to be ours."
>
> Microsoft software is used to run more than 90 percent of the world's PCs.
> Governments in several emerging countries, such as Brazil and Thailand, have
> started to promote computers that run the rival Linux operating system.
>
> Linux is an open source program that can be obtained for free or at little
> cost.
>

> --
>
> best wishes.
> /nan phin
>
> Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Imran William Smith,
Open Source R&D, MIMOS Berhad, Malaysia
http://opensource.mimos.my -  http://www.asiaosc.org