Re: [ossig] Microsoft Pumps $1 Bln Into UN Computer Aid ?

> Perhaps our friends at APDIP/UNDP could comment on how that will
> 'integrate' with open source initiatives like IOSN?

Geez, Imran. Thanks. Let me get back to you on that after I finish my
job search :)

Joking aside, UNESCO has also just recently announced a plan to
strengthen the partnership with MS. It is short on details. UNESCO's
Free Software Portal (in cooperation with the FSF) is the only other UN
free/open source software initiative I know of at this time.

Conspiracy theorists will of course read deeply into this move. Likewise
with Microsoft's signing of an initiative with UNDP Afghanistan in
August 2003, right after a much-publicized Linux training initiative
was conducted there in July 2003.

Then again, various agencies of the UN have been working with Microsoft
for some time. The UNDP has projects ongoing with the Bill & Melinda
Gates Foundation, including here in Malaysia. The UNDP also partners
with many other corporations.

The UNDP, as far as I know, is neutral in the proprietary vs free/open
source software issue, encouraging usage of the best tools for the best
results. It is more concerned with development (of countries) than
taking sides.

Disclaimer: My views are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views of my employer.
--
Kenneth Wong
IOSN Programme Consultant, UNDP-APDIP, Malaysia