Re: [ossig] Streamyx IP got blacklisted from sending email!

POP-before-relay method has 1 big loop hole. If you have an
organisation connected via a NAT'ed gateway, all it need is 1 person to
be authorised and the IP will be accepted for relay for a short period
(normally 5 minutes), in that period any other "infected" machine in
that organisation can send out mails via the SMTP server.

On Jan 30, 2004, at 18:43, Imran William Smith wrote:

> Maybe there's a market for a company to sell on SMTP
> services here in Malaysia (obviously using some kind of auth,
> like pop-before-relay).
>
> The vendor would have to be much better than the
> existing ISP at making sure no spammers broke things
> for everyone.   The vendor would have a strong
> financial incentive to do this.
>

> Imran
>
> SianLun Lau wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:31:45 +1100
>> Colin Charles <byte@aeon.com.my> wrote:
>>
>>> My only workaround was to do SSH port forwarding. Apparently, you
>>> could
>>> get some Postfix magic to work. Or just bite the bullet and go with
>>> the
>>> ISPs SMTP server, and stop doing SMTP Auth like I've been so used to
>>> doing.
>> how to do these when we have only the ISP SMTP server to use? :)
>> regards,
>> SianLun
>

> --
> Imran William Smith,