Re: [ossig] Streamyx IP got blacklisted from sending email!

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:55:00 +0800
Uwe Heinz Rudi Dippel <Udippel@uniten.edu.my> wrote:

Hi,

not sure are you talking about me, but i can share a little what you can get in Germany.

> At least one person on this list can ask around, how stuff 'worked' as long
> as Deutsche Telekom  did not have to give up on their rights; combining
> technical, business and historical research. Me thinks, that 10 years after
> liberalisation in said developed country, you can still observe the relics
> of protective policies.

Deutsche Telekom offers the dsl connection facilities. but on top of that you can select freely which ISP to take. DT just want to earn the basic which is still the largest part of DSL cost  for users :) installatoin fee itself would cost 99Euro which i think is relatively still expensive... but the freedom to choose from more than 50 packages from various ISP offers that suits your need... you can have 768kbps/128kbps for as low as 23Euro per month with 500MB transfer. it is cheaper if you have ISDN instead of analog lines.

> This country has done a lot to increase Internet penetration; with very low
> dial-up rates and reasonable broadband rates. Well done !

erm, you are still talking about Germany?

> Something not looked into sufficiently was the migratory aspect. A few years
> back 384 kbit/s was a good number; these days it isn't any longer. You enter
> the market at a higher or lower rate (compare BT); you offer choices. A step
> from  RM 66 to RM 488 is too steep; with essentially no pillar in between. I
> bet there would be a market. A colleague of mine would pay more for a higher
> rate; I'd be willing to fork out a reasonable amount for fixed IP. None of
> us can afford RM 500 for everything, neither do we need three e-mail
> accounts.

hmm, hard to judge whether is it enough or not. having real 384k is actually not too bad, especially at the price we are paying. but the problem is we are not getting what we are paying for. the ISP did nothign much but just want to sit down and make money. then i think our money has gone down the drain.

> Where is the vendor when there is a market ?

duh.. there is one telekom to rule them all. :)

regards, SL