Re: [ossig] [OSSIG] Proposal for the formation of an OSS IndustryAssociation

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Tze-Meng Tan wrote:

> OSS-PIP addresses the developers but not the entire eco-system...it
> needs to go further

actually you haven't seen the entire osspip blueprint. it does address the
entire ecosystem, both the demand side (customers!) and the supply side
(developers, SIs, training et al). at the same time it recognizes other
players :- universities, government, open source community (local/global).

> This has to be a commercial association, a for-profit organisation
> where its funds are used to help new OSS start ups as well as conduct

how will mossia be funded ? membership dues is unlikely, as it is too
small a community.

> marketing campaigns in favour of its members and the OSS message,
> organise seminars, provide legal aid etc etc

the prevalent argument (and i'm not saying i agree with this) is that
pikom will point out it's OSS SIG and declare that it represents the ICT
industry. however, as nsh has pointed out, as a member of the pikom OSS
SIG, i too think that it has been dormant for far too long to make that
claim anymore. fuhgodsake, they did not get the OSS SIG involved when they
went on their PC Mampu Beli campaign.

> Comments, Suggestions, Critiques ? This idea is Pre Alpha Version 0.1

it's a good start nevertheless. i'd rather see an OSS industry grouping
put together by OSS people rather than wannabes who're just hopping on the
bandwagon because they think OSS is the flavour of the month. to this aim,
members of this list would be ideal as seed/founders of mossia.