Re: [ossig] [OSSIG] Proposal for the formation of an OSS Industry Association

On 2 Jun 2004 at 18:30, Tze-Meng Tan wrote:

> We need an Industry Association - MOSSIA? - Malaysian Open Source
> Solutions Industry Association?- rather like associations for SMEs,
> taxi operators etc etc
> This has to be a commercial association, a for-profit organisation
> where its funds are used to help new OSS start ups as well as conduct

Good idea but IMHO for this to work two key issues have to be adequately
addressed:

- Funding.  Presumably from the members who will have to pay a
subscription fee, or maybe a % of some business won thru the support of
the association.  Membership fees cannot be too high since members
themselves are assumed to be struggling and they also need as much profits
as they can get without giving away too much of it to the association.
Without adequate funding the activities you proposed cannot take place
properly.  Perhaps a case can be made for an initial grant from the Govt
(I can already hear cries from established businesses howling unfair
subsidies and trade practice) since it wants to encourage private sector
praticipation in OSS, but anyway this association has to be able to
sustain itself in the long run.

- Trust. Members have to trust each other in order to pull together their
weight and expertise so that they can become a force to be reckoned with.
They need to be able to work together and agree on how to split the
profits etc.

Anyway this is an idea worth exploring further.

--
Soo Hoe