Re: [ossig] Re: Linux for Mac ::: VCB Scanned :::

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 17:29, Wong Lai Kuen wrote:
> I am currently using a G3 running on Mac OS 10.3.4 and using OpenOffice v1.0b8. Is it possible to install Red Hat 9 or any other version of Linux to a Mac? Please advice soonest possible.

Yes, it's possible! If you're running OS X 10.3.4 (or even 10.3.5 just
released), OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 works just fine, btw

Now on to Linux. Since you mention this is a G3 (not if its an
iBook/Powerbook/iMac/etc...), its a little broad, but rest assured, most
of everything works on the g3 line.

A popular distribution to start of with is Yellow Dog. Its currently at
version 3, and if you're running it with OS X (which uses HFS+ as a
filesystem), you need YDL 3.01 ISOs - keep this in mind, otherwise the
partitioning system will bork. This is the closest you'll get to Red Hat
9 (its based off it)

Debian is yet another one that's very cool, I actually used this for the
longest time. Its a pain to setup, but once setup, it performs like an
x86 machine. Most of the useful software via apt-get is always
available, and PPC is a supported arch so the build system automagically
builds things. I say this is great for prime time use, now, if you're
ready to get past the installation stage. I might have a few useful
pointers for you at: http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/ibook/ibook22.html

Then there's Mandrake, which is easy to use, but a bit out-dated (wrt
PPC - its still at 9.1 iirc). SuSE also has a PPC build - its commercial
however (or a Net install away) - its also a bit outdated (wrt PPC).
Gentoo is definitely gaining popularity in the PPC line, though the most
I've used is the Gentoo LiveCD (this is like Knoppix, except it runs on
your Mac!). It performs a lot better than YDL 3 does, but I can't afford
to not use my iBook for 2+ days making it all optimised (I think someone
here has tried that...)

On to my pet love, Fedora Core. It also runs on the Macs. We don't have
ISO images (yet), but if you're willing to run FC3 test1, ISOs will be
present. I won't say its for production use, unless you're able to
handle fixing bugs yourself, but a lot of folk are using it and are
pretty happy with it. It's what YDL4 will be based on (okay, YDL4 will
be based on FC2, but they've delayed their release, again, so its
suspect to be including some newer packages). Its a lot of fun, not
nearly as popular as Debian, but not one you should discount - its got
packages that x86 has in the Core, and the build system is similar to
Debian's. A bit more help for you if you go this way is at:
http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/ibook/fedorappc.html

If you're going to be a bit more adventerous, there's also FreeBSD for
PPC! But at this stage (last I checked, a few weeks back), it didn't get
past the boot stages... I think that's something I'd like to take a poke
at when I get some free time...

Hope this helps, and happy Linux/PPCing!
--
Colin Charles, byte@aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/