Re: [ossig] Enterprise Linux: UserLinux, Debian

Mukhsein Johari wrote:

> On a slightly tangential note:
> I find it intriguing that many of the interesting
> linux distros / projects are making use of Debian (eg.
> Knoppix/Gnoppix, UserLinux). That is, instead of
> others like Fedora or Slackware or Gentoo. Anyone with
> thoughts / experiences as to why this might be? Surely
> it's more than simply "apt-get" and .debs?

Interesting. Could we not make out, that there *are* reasons, then ?
Reasons to not use Slackware, Gentoo or Fedora ?

Try and ask them, and apt will be a good reason; including lots of ports
(packages). Others ? I'd be curious. I doubt religious motives.

> It's also interesting that 2 of the top 5 distros on
> http://www.distrowatch.com/ are consistently:

This is not necessarily related to the above. Knoppix is a great,
usually up-to-date Live-CD with great hardware detection.
Debian is great, especially after the demise of RedHat Linux, for its
various flavours, like stable, testing and unstable. You may follow any,
according to your needs. Gentoo - though I liked it very much - failed
me w.r.t. stability: There is / was only one flavour, and it tended to
break more often than Debian unstable breaks.

Updates are another reason, at least here. Fedora is too much of an
upgrade craze for me; and the RedHat upgrades have never been *the*
thing. At least here.
With Debian, you have no trouble; at least much fewer. No need to wait
for Core X to download, burn, 'install'-> upgrade to get the latest
version of my most favourite app.
Debian is unbeaten in the combination of stable / testing / unstable
sources; where you can run a single bleeding-edge app on stable.
Try another kernel: apt-get.

(This isn't supposed to be religious neither; only my two sen trying to
answer your question.)

> I just find it weird that a distro whose "stable"
> release is consistently about 2-3 years old (more?),
> could be so popular.

What is weird in it ? Some shops want 'stable' with security backports
(a branch of a local bank runs basically on Woody); no breakage allowed
in 24/7.

And the majority of the users sitting somewhere 'higher'.
To me, this makes a good part of the 'business model' of Debian:
commodisation (does this word exist ?).

Uwe