Re: [ossig] Enterprise Linux: UserLinux, Debian

On Aug 19, 2004, at 11:57 PM, Colin Charles wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 01:42, Hong-Yee Seah wrote:
>
>> Yum is a recent thing,IIRC, starting FC1. I admit I have not tried it.
>> Kind of interesting that it is actually from Yellowdog.
>
> I think it existed in RH8 days actually (my memory is a bit hazy), and
> it did not come from Yellow Dog. It in fact came from Seth Vidal, a
> dude
> at Duke University, and a Fedora person -
> http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/

I thought YUM stand for Yellowdog update management.

> It got its necessary love when FC1 came along, and up2date speaks w/yum
> repositories too
>
> Its true, RPM was a mess without a package management tool back in the
> 7.x days and even before. Dependency hell was well, hell. Even apt-rpm
> was only around since RH8 days iirc

Come to think of it, why we actually need so many package management
tools in the first place.
URPMI been around since mandrake 7.2 ( when RH was 6.2, around year
2000). Apt is even longer. Sure took them a while, but then to reinvent
the wheel with up2date and later incorporate YUM.  All of them does
almost the same thing.