Re: [ossig] Enterprise Linux: UserLinux, Debian

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 10:57, nsh@pop.jaring.my wrote:

> correct me).  This lack of standardisation while giving each dept/agency
> freedom to choose what suits them best may give rise to support and other
> possible compatibility issues.

That also means more support companies get to survive, which IMHO, is a
good thing

Distros don't need to be compatible with each other (you can have one
office w/FreeBSD the other w/Debian - it shouldn't matter). What matters
is the file formats are similar (nice OASIS stuff, for instance), file
sharing works (samba?), they can all access the similar database
(front-end), and so on

The freedom to choose, rather than having a policy, also provides
against vendor lock-in (we already hate that with the Redmond company).
Why should the government allow procurement of only SuSE Linux, and give
Novell all contracts for the next 5 years, when they could allow freedom
so folk can use FreeBSD or RHEL?
--
Colin Charles, byte@aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/