Re: [ossig] Enterprise Linux: UserLinux, Debian

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 13:46, Dinesh Nair wrote:
> > Then, what about FreeBSD spin-off's? Recently, there's this DragonFly
> >  BSD thing. Do we see commercial spin-off's for BSD based distros?
> > Again, I'm curious to know, no religious wars please
>
> errm, i fail so see how *BSD is relevant to a discussion which at the
> root of it is based on the package update/install mechanisms of
> linux-based OSes. dragonflybsd is a fork of freebsd 4.8 when matt dillon
> had a disagreement with freebsd core and chose to continue the 4-stable
> line in a new operating system. they've just released 1.0-alpha.

It actually started with why Debian is popular for a subset of forks and
so on (and then slowly became a package management talk, among other
things :P) - i.e. spin-off's

UserLinux is Debian based, as was already established in the start of
this

> and in case you need further reminding:, commercial spin-offs of *bsd:
> mac os x, juniper's junos, sunos/solaris (pre OSS BSDs), wasabi systems.

Thanks for adding to the list - Juniper's junos is one I definitely did
not know

Mac OS X is a desktop distro, commercial, relatively successful. I was
more looking on the likes of how MandrakeSoft forked Red Hat, became
successful, filed Chapter 11, but still survive till today kinda
stories. Because quite the few commercial Debian forks in earlier days
seemed to have not survived till this day
--
Colin Charles, byte@aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/