RE: [ossig] Java in OSS

Guys,

If you put aside the question of Java being open source itself (it's messy
and rather confusing especially if you're not familiar with Java's scene -
http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=27059), I'm quite
happy to say that Java based open source software is quite a big thing.

Apart from those links provided by Khairil, SourceForge has a fountry
dedicated to Java based software - http://java.foundries.sourceforge.net/.

Other than end-user software, a considerable amount of open source Java
projects are libraries, frameworks, etc...

Being one of the fastest growing language/platform today, Java is usually
the enabling technology behind most of the IT/tech developments today... And
because of that, the growth of OS Java apps are growing at similar rate...
Nowadays, you can probably get an open source Java implementation for most
applications... Examples below...

Winamp - http://www.javazoom.net/jlgui/jlgui.html (I think you can launch
this program via your browser - web start)
Email Server - http://james.apache.org/
Make in Java called Ant (platform independent) - http://ant.apache.org/
Web app. load testing s/w - http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/

Cheers!