Re: [ossig] Sun, Star Office, MS

On 18/09/2004 22:24 Colin Charles said the following:
> Then read:
> 	http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2004/09/17/openofficeorg-not-sold-out
>
> Especially the FAQ:
> 	http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/09/17/171220

both links don't answer the pertinent threat of micosoft's patent arsenal
being used against oo.o (or any other OSS project, for that matter). the
sun 10K filing indicates that while microsoft agrees not to sue sun for
patent violations, they can go after distributors/users of oo.o after
1/4/2004 if they can find a patent violation to do so. the JCA is one
manner which sun hopes to help if it comes to that, but that is still
conjencture.

i'm actually viewing this from a larger perspective, with the recent
microsoft move to acquire as many patents as possible. my guess is they're
strengthening their patent arsenal for a potential attack against OSS at
some point in the future. the problem with patent lawsuits is that they're
always beneficial to the party with the larger war chest, even thought the
patent suit may be frivolous. in this balance, OSS loses out to microsoft.