Re: Installfests (WAS: Re: [ossig] FOSS Meet)

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 10:30 +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:

> who concedes that his boot-up-times on XP are extremely fast because
> (his) XP is usually very basic. When you throw in more programs it gets
> considerably slower.
> Try it out as well: install from scratch on a good partition and the
> first boot will be very fast (the second, to be precise).

If you're interested in parallel init scripts, a goal of Fedora Core 4
(possibly) is to do that

There has already been talk about this (read archives of fedora-devel-
list), and interested hackers are always welcome to come along and hack
on it

So rather than live with the fact that XP boots quicker than Linux, do
something about it. On a Red Hat/fedora/suse system, configuring
chkconfig can make life very easy (ntsysv too on fc/rhel), and a lot
quicker. But nothing like parallelizing init scripts, because you might
get GDM up even before a lot of other system services are running (so,
you get X login, before SSH server for instance)

Keeping in mind, a minimal X server can already get started at boot-time
(look at rhgb, I think Mandrake still uses the framebuffer, correct me
if I'm wrong though)

Warmest Regards
--
Colin Charles, byte@aeon.com.my