[ossig] Dvorak on mob rule

"And apparently it doesn't take much provocation, as the Linux community is
slowly evolving into a state of mob rule, with the cheerleaders being
paranoid crackpot leftovers from the waning days of Amiga. "Too nutty even
for the Mac community? We welcome you!"

Now these lunatics are issuing death threats? I can tell you that my mere
mentioning of any of this will result in incredibly hateful attempted
postings on this forum and on my moderated blog. What is wrong with these
people?

If anything is going to kill Linux and the open-source movement, it's the
presence of certifiable lunatics in the ranks representing the users. It
may be that this is actually a deep Astroturf PR campaign orchestrated by
Microsoft to discredit open source and Linux. It sure seems like something
weird is going on.

I can tell you this much: Normal people do not like being associated with
fanatics and lunatics. Once Linux gets the image as the OS for the
criminally insane, it's a dead duck. Unless the community gets a handle on
this, grows up, and rebukes the extremists, the trash heap of history is
where this is all headed" - John C. Dvorak

more at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1816440,00.asp