[ossig] Fwd: [myoss] MYGIFOSS (Draft of the Malaysian Government Interoperability Framework for OSS) comments

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nur Hussein <nhussein@gmail.com>
Date: May 30, 2005 5:42 PM
Subject: [myoss] MYGIFOSS (Draft of the Malaysian Government
Interoperability Framework for OSS) comments
To: myoss@my-opensource.org

Concerning the MyGIFOSS document which mentions BSD systems on pages
19-21, all the open source BSD flavours are listed as having "no known
limitations". This is incorrect, as far as I know:

1. All the BSDs scale horribly on multi-CPU SMP systems (>8 and you're
in trouble).
2. PAE support seems to be lacking, making the BSDs unable to use
large-memory machines (>6GB)
3. BSD is not as rigourously tested on high-end systems (>8 CPUs, >6GB
RAM) as Linux.

Based on this I would say *BSD is a poor choice for high-performance
high-end SMP machines.

I am sure the numerous fans of *BSD here will now commence to flame me
to a crisp. Please feel free to point out if I'm wrong or if the
situation has since improved for any of the *BSD's.

-= Nur Hussein =-