[ossig] Re: [myoss] "Open-source licensing: BSD is a better model" -article is flawed

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 17:38 +0800, Ditesh wrote:
>  clarification, in the BSD license, you
> do not have this issue as you can re-license without the permission of
> the original copyright holder.

Nitpick. You cannot re-license. You may use in any way you wish,
distribute as you wish, etc, but the original BSD licensed code remains
BSD licensed. Nowhere in the license do they allow you to relicense and
unless specifically granted, you do not have that right.

Your changes and the derived work can probably (IANAL) be under any
license you wish though, so you can restrict those. And with no easy way
to separate the code and such limited restrictions, most people will not
attempt to extract just the BSD code and use that.

This is one of the main differences between the MIT and the BSD license.
The MIT license specifically allows you to sub-license.

Licenses can be viewed here:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

Only reason for the nitpick was cause I once got my arse kicked about
this by a most competent lady friend :)

Ken