[ossig] Re: [myoss] mythtv for astro

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 15:02 +0800, Changching Yew wrote:
> > Better not be an old pc...
>
> I hope Athlon 700MHz is not old in this context...

I think it is, if you're expecting real-time goodness. IIRC, even the
minimum requirements tend to be around 550Mhz+ (PIII)

> > > There r a number of issues in getting it to work with astro
> > > 1. Getting a good encoder card
> > > Looking at Hauppauge PVR250 (RM 399) or PVR150 (RM ???). PVR150 looks
> > > like a good deal as it includes both remote and ir blaster but I have
> > > yet to find it fully supported under linux.
> >
> > Hmm, I had a K-World taiwanese thing back in '99 that worked with astro
> > just fine. Linux supported, allowed me to record mtv (which were Britney
> > videos for a friend's birthday ;-)), and worked like a charm generally
>
> Is it an mpeg 2 encoder card? Most TV capture card does not support
> real time mpeg2 encoding and i think saving raw video is not a good
> option

No it wasn't; saved raw video, and used cpu for encoding

> > > 2. Getting mythtv change channel on astro box automatically
> > > The solution is to use an IR blaster to change channel on astro set
> > > top box. But I have yet to find the correct IR code to use with astro
> > > set top box. Would write up the IR transmit if could get the astro IR
> > > spec.
> >
> > Well, the frequencies can be gotten if you have a Palm (or an IR
> > receiver and something that grabs the ir freq's). I've done this before,
> > also, back then (when it was cool to run omniremote on my Palm IIIx, ooh
> > sexy beast)
>
> Hmm... dun have a palm here... probably hand solder one LIRC IR
> receiver to capture them

That will work; or find someone that has already got one and an access
to an astro remote (I have a feeling there are 3 different types of
remotes for astro, and you're going to have to get the correct type for
your need)
--
Colin Charles, http://www.bytebot.net/