[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[ossig] Gnome 2.12 Pre-Release Tour
This is exciting.
I'm already using GTK-2.8+ on my gentoo laptop and I like the new looks.
(it's either this or xscreensaver has a new 'put you password' box)
Some of the notable highlights.
1. Evolution will finally support inline PGP reading and thus no need to
educate Thunderbird users how to send GPG emails to Evo users or having
to copy and paste the message to a shell for gpg to parse.
2. Additional integration with HAL and which is part of Project
Utopia(also known as project Gentopia for gentoo folks) which makes
total plug-and-play and 'it just works' out of the box. Right now, HAL
is already being used in gnome-power (read about it in Ed4 of MyOSS
Magazine - http://mag.my-opensource.org), gamin, gnome-vfs-daemon,
3. Nautilus Spatial tree file view ala Windows Explorer or KDE's
Konqueror. I don't really like it but at least it won't open new windows
4. Gnome-Menu-Editor. I would believe that this is the *one* thing which
a lot of gnome users will be looking forward to.
5. Totem Mozilla Plugin - No need to rely on mplayerplugin anymore :-).
Frankly, I'm starting to warm up to totem even right now. Nice App.
6. Evince will come in as default. (I know FC already package this. I've
yet to see how well it compared to using Acrobat Reader. The new version
7.0 is really *slow*)
Go Read up on it. (sorry, I don't have the URL)
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
Neuromancer 15:07:45 up 8 days, 21:19, 5 users, load average: 0.85,
To unsubscribe: send mail to email@example.com
with "unsubscribe ossig" in the body of the message