Re: [ossig] TechEd: Microsoft to clone open source

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 11:47 +0800, Nur Hussein wrote:
> Ah, Microsoft. Always reinventing the wheel and calling it
> "innovation". Of course the rabid, drooling Microsoft fanbois will
> start barking about how "open source is copying Microsoft" and assume
> M$ invented it first. That's always how it goes.

Look at tsync. Open source, but I think something a lot of people will
be interested in, that came out of the google SoC. Google's definitely
interested

And lets be honest, open source or not, a company will take whats
innovative and use it. Being religious about it, will be the downfall of
a corporation

Also, while they may not have "innovated" the massive idea behind rsync,
they might be "innovating" the usable front end. Look at Linux today -
we have had rsync for ages. Do we have a /usable/ backup tool that makes
use of it ? Not quite (don't tell me about Unison, RsyncX, etc. because
they're not well integrated and usable...) Again, another Google SoC
project for rsync-able backups, both for Ubuntu and Fedora have
surmounted - usable front-ends that have rsync as a backend

Now, there's innovation in repackaging something nicely and making
things "just work". Look at OS X. Look at a Linksys WiFi AP.

P/S: I'm not a Microsoft fanboy. I'm a Sithawan fanboy :)
--
Colin Charles, http://www.bytebot.net/