Re: [ossig] Other open source projects

> There are thousands and thousands of Java software released under
> various types of free and open source licences, are you saying that
> they are all wrongly done so?

It's not wrong that they're licensed under free and open source
licenses, but the fact that there are thousands of free and open source
software that are depending on the proprietary Java Virtual Machine is
a scary predicament.

> Java is non-free. :)
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html
> If you want to develop free/open source applications, please use a free
> (as in freedom) language and framework such as python.

I don't see how this is related to the topic being discussed.

For most people, not using Java when their entire system depends on it
is not so pragmatic. As said in the last paragraph of that article you
"if you like the Java language, we invite you to help in developing GNU
GNU Classpath http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/

Also, look at how many Java programs there are listed in the FSF
Software Directory -

The fact that Sun's implementation of Java is non-free doesn't make Sau
Sheong's projects any less free.

Kris Khaira