RE: [ossig] Other open source projects

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 16:00 +0800, Nicholas Adrian Suppiah wrote:
> Java is a good development tool that allows web and non web version of
> an application. Java software being free or open source license, does
> it really affects the spirit of being free or open?

I think you missed the point he's trying to say. He's not saying that
your app is not good/etc by using Java. He's trying to say that although
you release the app as FLOSS, you are at the mercy of the underlying
framework (Java in this case).

Say, you took 1 years and X $ to develop the app based on Java (from
SUN), and then 2 days before you were going to release it to the
world,(for Free) SUN changed their Java license and anything you release
will have to be licensed under Java and you have to pay 1% to SUN for
usage of Java. What can you do? You don't have $$ to pay?

Rock and Hard Place.

> Any how, do you mean to say the licensing is not correctly done or is
> it done in a manner that contradicts the ability to be free/open?

I believe the case here is that you are at the mercy of Java's License,
being NON-Free, or having specific clauses in the "Free" agreement.

Your app may be free, but if for some reason, Java wants the end-user to
pay for getting Java, then your software essentially becomes NON-Free.

[quote from Dinesh on Email April-18]
and using GPL fonts may force the /whole/ document to be GPLed. see
http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/2005-April/010319.html from
the scribus mailing list and slashdot discussion at
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/04/17/2118203.shtml?tid=117&tid=185&tid=17
[/quote from Dinesh on Email April-18]

That's what it means.

Remember, it's as strong as the weakest link and in this case, it's
Java.

My 2cents.

--
Ow Mun Heng