Re: [ossig] Other open source projects

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 10:20 +0800, Chang Sau Sheong wrote:
> I hate to say this, but this can be said of any free/open software in
> the market today. Even if Sun's Java implementation is declared
> licensed under GPL today, tomorrow if Sun decides to pull Java off
> GPL, they can do it. Nothing to stop them, since they are the
> copyright owners. There are estoppel issues of course, and you can sue
> them in court but that's not the point, right?
> There are also more complex issues that what is stated here actually.

If Sun's Java is licensed under the GPL tomorrow (10-09-2005), and then
by a quirk they decide on Monday to pull it off the GPL (12-09-2005) and
make it some weird license (i.e. what it is today), only further
derivatives of whats made after the 12th can be under said license

AFAIK, code committed up till the 11th will always remain GPLed. And the
source to the JVM/JRE/SDK will always be around, no matter what. Even if
its a dead branch

> You meant that bit abt using GPL fonts making the document GPL as a
> joke right ? :) I'm just afraid someone might think it's true.

The GPL is a horrible license for fonts (even with the font exception).
As it is for documents (thats why the FSF have the FDL).
--
Colin Charles, http://www.bytebot.net/