Re: [ossig] Other open source projects

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 11:25 +0800, Chang Sau Sheong wrote:
> The copyright holder has all the rights to his own property. If he
> decides to revoke the licence to his property, he has the right to,
> even retrospectively. Of course, the code would be out there, but you
> will not have a licence to copy, modify, redistribute or do anything
> that copyright allowed you to previously.

All these restrictions are removed with copyleft free software licenses.
With free software licenses, the only right left with the copyright
holder would be that to re-license the software. This is good as it
promotes freedom for the user, developer and community at large.

> If you have committed code to Java before that you will be the
> copyright owner of whatever you wrote (unless you have signed some
> contracts tat says watever u write will be assigned to ur employers).

If you are talking about the base Java platform, you /will/ be asked to
hand over copyright to Sun.

>  You can do watever u want with ur code, if Sun wants to include ur
> code, and u insist ur code is under GPL, then they will have make Java
> GPL or stop using ur code.

With them having many really good engineers, I think its far fetched to
consider that anybody would have something of such great value that Sun
couldn't recreate it themselves.

> I din really go into the fonts, thing it sounds so silly I didn't look
> into it. But even if it's true, GPL is not tat powerful. Just stop
> using tat font and your document won't be GPL.

And what is the basis for your reasoning that GPL is not that powerful
and that it "sounds so silly"?

Ditesh