Re: [ossig] Malaysian Law With Respect To Employees Who Program OnTheir Own Time

Here's my suggestion I could think of at the moment.

Promote OSS software that runs on windows at the moment. It would be pretty aggressive to encourage an OS switch overnight. In order to prevent a 'culture shock', we need to do a phased changeover of 'culture' from proprietary software to OSS. Tons of OSS products are cross platform and to me that is the biggest advantage. Some people are reluctant to try out OSS software maybe because of the commitment/time/knowledge required in switching the OS from windows to Linux/freebsd etc. What we can do is start by doing a 'bridging' of promotion, by listing out how OSS products can replace or compete with proprietary software on the windows platform itself. This means OSS has got to fight the battle ON the windows OS itself first, before eventually moving people all the way to the desired OS. Once people are familiar with OSS on WINDOWS itself, it will be a matter of time before they are more open to switching the OS entirely. From what I know, most 'seminars' on OSS focused too much on the Operating system itself (I heard that's how some OSS seminar speakers are arguing their case in JB) and the presenters aren't able to argue their points nicely in business cases. Promoting a gradual changeover for OSS to first work with and slowly replace proprietary software is one way to go, step by step, opening up the minds slowly, instead of scaring them off.

It may sound silly to you guys but I recommend OSS on Windows itself first before getting people to switch OS eventually.
We need to identify Windows versions of OSS products that also exists in other OS platforms and start pushing those at the educational institutes and hold seminars of actually HOW OSS software on the WINDOWS OS helps saves you money and improve your productivity without you having to spend anything more than the Windows OS (Even the cheap workstation/home OS). How you can turn your Windows Home/Workstation into a full production server for windows using Apache,mysql/interbase/firebird etc without paying more for a full Windows Server OS.