Re: [ossig] Malaysian Law With Respect To Employees Who Program On Their Own Time

On 09/23/05 23:37 Uwe Dippel said the following:
> Dinesh offered some insight into 'what makes the stock market of a
> company' (or so; I am zero business person); but the mantra kept

what i actually said was to debunk his fallacy that IP had value and that
VC investors and the IPO market would not put value if the software was
open source. having been thru the VC investment mill more times than i care
to mention, i know that investors and IPO valuations are not determined by
IP assets but rather by revenue and the mythical healthy PAT (profit after
tax). these business benchmarks are the critical ones which determine the
valuation of the company for investment or IPO and certainly not software
assets.

while many companies utilize an accounting principle known as
capitalization of assets to turn software into economic capital, these are
usually just accounting mechanics in order to artificially boost up the
paid up capital of the company or to hide expenses in order to show a
higher profit. they certainly are not taken into account during any serious
evaluation of the company's valuation.

> services, business models we had a hijack, sorry to say. No single drop
> of blame on MAMPU. I think they were just as surprised.

and from what i hear, a little annoyed at the hijacking of their dialogue.
in the end, there really is a silver lining to the cloud, so let's not
focus on the wrong issues. :)