Re: [ossig] Malaysian Law With Respect To Employees Who Program OnTheirOwn Time

On 09/24/05 16:00 jason chong said the following:
> Promote OSS software that runs on windows at the moment. It would be
> pretty aggressive to encourage an OS switch overnight. In order to
> prevent a 'culture shock', we need to do a phased changeover of

which is exactly the reason i suggested utilizing an apps based phase one
approach instead of an operating system switch.

> and the presenters aren't able to argue their points nicely in business
> cases. Promoting a gradual changeover for OSS to first work with and

the reason for this is sometimes even the OSS community does not understand
what it's fighting for nor how to win the battle.

> and hold seminars of actually HOW OSS software on the WINDOWS OS helps
> saves you money and improve your productivity without you having to
> spend anything more than the Windows OS (Even the cheap workstation/home

what a lot of people do not realize is that closed source afficiandos,
especially that little company in redmond, are NOT fighting for the
dominance of the operating system but rather the other apps and layers
above it for that is where their main revenue and profits come from. the
battle is less about windows vs linux/freebsd and more about ms office vs
oo.o and sql server vs mysql/postgresql.

within the community, this is what we need to understand. a customer does
not buy an operating system, he buys an application and this application
will then drag in the other auxiliary and infrastructure components required.