[ossig] The MAMPU thing, part deux

4. Now, what did MAMPU hope to achieve in that event?

Well, it was mainly to explain (quickly) the master plan, and then to engage
the audience on how the industry and community can get involved. This is
only, in the context of MAMPU sending an open invitation, a "first contact"
affair. It sets a sort of baseline, especially for those working for them
(like me) to gauge how much we can expect on the interaction with the OSS
community and the (evidently non-existent) OSS industry.

The big banana skin that I stepped on was assuming that the OSS industry
people would also be in the OSS mailing lists and would jump at this chance
(for obviou$ reasons). Stupid, naive me. As a member of the "industry", I
should've known better.

I mentioned during my turn to present that morning, that I note that three of
the elected members of the MOSIG pro-tem committee was there (myself
included). The irony of that was not lost on me. Of course, the Election
Commission was also in attendance (if a little late to the party).

5. What next?

Well, we're working on what next. On Monday, I'll send out an email to give
the location of the feedback form and the date in which it is expected back.

I, personally, have learnt a lot on how to go forward from here and all I can
say is,

Watch. This. Space.

I would also like to make it obvious here that those who are not within the
OSS community do not have to watch this space.

We'll set something up separately, just for you non-OSS guys. Because you're
special and we love you.

6. Other stuff

With regards to the discussion on IP, esp. by the ISAC-M people, I feel that
they're only reflecting the level of misunderstanding of the ICT industry,
generally -- as noted by Dinesh. Instead of being confrontational, I'd rather
engage them and hope that the bloody bulb lights up in their head and they
get that Eureka! moment.

I also know that there are those who really understand the issues on IP but
choose to keep doing what they're doing and actively spreading lies and
deceiving people because they're on the gravy train and don't want to get
off. Who cares about them, anyway. We want the ambivalent ones to understand.

On another tack, PIKOM should really stop being a mouthpiece of foreign
companies, including those who are sympathetic to OSS (yep, that includes
you, IBM. And you, Novell -- and I know you guys are reading this). PIKOM
should also stop being a mouthpiece of local distributors and resellers of
foreign products. But then, PIKOM might end up mute. That would actually be
an improvement, I'd imagine. And if any PIKOM members are offended by my
statements here, then I would just like to say that I "have been misquoted".

I'm done for now.

yusseri