Re: [ossig] Malaysian Law With Respect To Employees Who Program OnTheirOwn Time

On 09/24/05 19:18 Ditesh said the following:
> Revenue from Office is almost equal to that of Windows, with Windows
> being in the lead.

not really. based on their recent (26/8/05) 10K filings to the SEC, windows
contributed about US$9.8b while the rest of their software offerings were
at US$22b in revenue. the non-OS segment also showed a 130% growth in
operating income, which indicates a tremendous jump in profit margins.

they've even prepended it with a warning to stockholders,

"While we believe our products provide customers with significant
advantages in security and productivity, and generally have a lower total
cost of ownership than open source software, the popularization of the
non-commercial software model continues to pose a significant challenge to
our business model, including recent efforts by proponents of open source
software to convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open
source software in their purchase and deployment of software products. To
the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline."