Re: [ossig] Malaysian Law With Respect To Employees WhoProgram OnTheir Own Time

> not really. based on their recent (26/8/05) 10K filings to the SEC, windows
> contributed about US$9.8b while the rest of their software offerings were
> at US$22b in revenue. the non-OS segment also showed a 130% growth in
> operating income, which indicates a tremendous jump in profit margins.

>From http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/halo2/news_6111133.html or
http://www.microsoftmonitor.com/archives/003977.html (not an authoritive
source, I agree, but I don't have time now to do deeper digging):

Desktop and notebook versions of Windows: 2.99 billion
Information Worker Suite (which includes Office): 2.56 billion

This does not include server versions of Windows and I'm not sure what
else goes into Information Worker Suite (google is not helpful in this
regard).

> "While we believe our products provide customers with significant
> advantages in security and productivity, and generally have a lower total
> cost of ownership than open source software, the popularization of the
> non-commercial software model continues to pose a significant challenge to
> our business model, including recent efforts by proponents of open source
> software to convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open
> source software in their purchase and deployment of software products. To
> the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
> of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
> our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline."

Heh. This validates the position that FOSS is making inroads into the
various horizontals that Microsoft has traditionally had dominance over.
However, it also sends a message that FOSS is a danger to the commercial
software ecosystem by reducing business margins.

Ditesh