Re: [ossig] Malaysian Law With Respect To Employees WhoProgram OnTheir Own Time

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 00:28 +0800, Ditesh wrote:

> Heh. This validates the position that FOSS is making inroads into the
> various horizontals that Microsoft has traditionally had dominance over.
> However, it also sends a message that FOSS is a danger to the commercial
> software ecosystem by reducing business margins.

Or increases it. It depends on how you look at it, which business you're
in.

1 Owner/seller of the base/main proprietary software platform ie.
  OS, Office, DB, Devel Tools.

2 Value add/support on an existing proprietary software
  minus (license + exclusive dealer cur + reseller cut
  + retailer cut)

3 Value add/support on FOSS

I'm looking for the report/figures where most of the revenue in the ICT
industry is actually on value add/support and not from 1. I'm guessing
that even if you are a proprietary software vendor... say ERP/SME apps
that your margins are already thin, minimal resources and the big guys
are moving into your space (or eventually will) [1]

[1] http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;2066527829;fp;16;fpid;0

This is a digitally signed message part