Re: [ossig] The MAMPU event and my comments

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 00:19 +0800, Ditesh wrote:
> > i) I could have done more to drum up support and excitement about the event
> > amongst the community -- on account of the fact that we tend to bitch and
> > moan in the safety of our own mailing lists and are rather apathetic
> > elsewhere. In other words, I should not have been so naive as to think that
> > one single email would be enough. Reminders, sneak previews, big-ass website
> > to announce the event, etc. would have worked better.

I don't think it would have mattered. (See below)

> My 2 cents is that people /are/ interested but have a mindset that they
> are not empowered to make a difference. So, what needs to be sold to
> them is that MAMPU does listen and act upon feedback.

A lot of who does the Mag/Meetups/conf/Talks/etc..etc all do it neither
for revenue nor for fame. We do it out of interest, which is what FLOSS
is all about. (and a lot of us do it in our own free time when those
times could have been used for "quality family time" :-)

While MAMPU is helping to spearhead FLOSS adoption in Malaysia, it does
makes me wonder why it doesn't throw it's weight to back the little guys
like us who are working on it not as a job, but out of interest. Quoting
Ditesh - "The FLOSS Bandwagon". We're like "Free Slaves" (in the very
oxymoron meaning of the word). Utilise us, support us, heck, Exploit US!

Given the fact that neither of the above has ever materialised(as least
from where I'm standing), please excuse me when I say that the mindset
that we're not empowered to make a difference in a significant manner
exists in a very concrete form.

We're all fighting the good fight, but the good fight needs water to
sustain it. Without which, the effort just gets passed down from one
person to the next. (which is a good thing.)

All in all.

1. Support/Utilise the "Free Slaves"
2. Start with Schools. (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/schools.html)

My not so voluminous 2 cents.