Re: [ossig] The MAMPU event and my comments

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 14:16 +0800, Molly Cheah wrote:
> >Quoting
> >Ditesh - "The FLOSS Bandwagon". We're like "Free Slaves" (in the very
> >oxymoron meaning of the word). Utilise us, support us, heck, Exploit US!
> >

> Thanks Ow. When can we meet to discuss this?

The next meetup.

> >We're all fighting the good fight, but the good fight needs water to
> >sustain it. Without which, the effort just gets passed down from one
> >person to the next. (which is a good thing.)
> >

> Ahh! Water. You mean remuneration.

NO. That's not what I mean. Right now, we're all doing it out of our
free time and out of our own interest(and whatever other agenda which I
won't pursue). There's no remuneration of any kind involved. However,
what would nice is to at least get recognition from organisations like
MAMPU that not only pushes their agenda but pushes forwards the fact
that there exists a community that does a lot of other behind-the-scenes
work but just isn't getting enough exposure.

Then there's always the problem of lack of training/experience/talk etc,
well, guess what, there's a community already that caters for this.
(actively)

So, point them this way. We're not a support/help desk, but believe it
or not, majority of us are willing lend a helping hand.

> I'm sure that can be discussed too,

If you insist :-)

> Is there a directory of open source expertise (local I mean) that I can
> look up and locate the appropriate.

Well, last I heard, the OSC (Open Source Club) has made in-roads in
schools & tertiary education centers in particular, but its activity
died off. (as far as I can tell anyway)

> Every time I meet Uwe, I asked him
> for students and he seemed to shake his head all the time\

Nowadays, I shake my head too. For all the wrong reasons. :-)

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!