RE: [ossig] Peru Passes FOSS Law

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 10:11 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> Full as in what sense? I don't know what else you can do other than
> calendering/Email address book. What are it's features again?

People often mistake features for support of MS standards. Ie. Outlook +
Exchange.

As a result this has resulted in products developed on open standards
(non-RAND!!) being neglected and instead focusing on MS standards (read
Office/Windows integration).

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2445.txt
http://www.washington.edu/ucal/

If you stick to open standards, you should be able to use different
applications to connect to multiple email systems, calendaring backends
etc.

Now to make this work seamlessly, is where FOSS/Proprietary companies
make money by developing, providing and supporting their own solutions
based on open standards and having real software choice. So people can
make the best choice from multiple solutions proprietary or FOSS.

See Mass. By supporting OpenDocument you no longer judge standards on MS
Office, but by which vendor (Corel, KOffice, Staroffice/Openoffice,
Abiword, Gnumeric and more) has the best features that supports
OpenDocument format.

This is a digitally signed message part