Re: [ossig] Bending the Malaysian Patent law to allow software patents.

Uwe Dippel wrote:

> Where the KPI of that good Doctor was to acquire a
> certain number of patents within a strict time limit. And, actually,
> they counted the *filings* and indicated those numbers as 'success'.
> Anybody can *file* any number of patents within no time. That chap
> simply knew how to skin the government (alas, us tax-payers).

Ah, I ought not be too harsh and I ought not reply to myself.

See, 99 out of 100 people wouldn't know if you have a patent when you
show them an official publication printed by the European Patent Office
(e.g.) with a patent number printed on it: EP-A-839786. It looks very
technical, contains title, abstract, claims, descriptions, International
Classification, everything. Is it a patent ? Okay, from how I set this
scenario up, you might by now guess, it isn't. And you're right.

The funny thing - contrary to gazetting - the Patent Office doesn't
publish only what is relevant. Once you file, whatever crap it might be,
it gets examined by the Formalities Section. And if it fulfils *purely
formal* requirements, it will get a 'Patent Number' associated with it,
and officially been published and printed and stuff. As I said, *any
crap*. You pay for this, and as long as the formalities are correct, and
you don't withdraw, this documents will inevitably show as official
publication.
So what is now the indication of a patent ? Very simple: The same
number, similar (or even same) document numbered EP-B-839786. I bet you
won't spot the difference at first glance. It is a simple difference
between 'A' and 'B'.
You may be assured, that 99.9% of the people to whom you show the thingy
won't question you being a patent holder if you display the inevitable
'A' document. Which is anything but a patent. But when you put a stack
of these on the desktop of your perspective employer (or a government
servant not in PHIM, that is); they will explode with joy.

Anybody with too much money and wanting to have a 'Patent' on his / her
name ? Contact me off list and I'll help you draw up any number of
applications and you'll get that same number of 'Patents' on your name.
Which - as I pointed out - are not patents, but the result of you having
too much money and wanting to see your name on a cover of a 'Patent'.
The system simply *can* be abused. And the overall awareness is low;
especially in MY. Alas.

Uwe