Re: [ossig] Patent Covers at al

Uwe,

I read up on Singapore's patent law. It has no specific mention of software patents, but lawyers can re-word the 'process' used in the software in such a way that it becomes a process that is broad/generic enough to the point that the patent is granted that way as a 'utility patent' to the applicant. (processing methods)

Now i ask, is it possible for this to happen as well in Malaysia's patent law context ?

Meaning the lawyer re-word what the software did in a very broad/generic non-Software term manner that it is applied to all industries. I have a feeling a lot of lawyers are doing this because well you know, they're lawyers, they'll tell and convince the applicants that software CAN BE patented in Malaysia, re-word those process and try to apply for patents this way.

The thing about Patents in Malaysia is that, it is NOT TRANSPARENT or NOT FREE to find out what patents have already being granted. Opensource activists need a lawyer or someone very familiar with Malaysia's legal process in granting patents etc.