Re: [ossig] Patent Covers at al

Title:
I spoke with IPOS before on software patents, and they don't have a clue on what software is :) Apparently the law doesn't really care about whether it is software or not, as long as the basics of patents are followed. If you search the patent library in IPOS itself you'd find some software patents.

A quick search on the ePatents website on the word 'software' in the title of the patent reveals 141 patents. Now I don't know how many of these are really software patents but a sample of such is like this:

Publication No: 113159
Title: METHOD, SYSTEM AND COMPUTER SOFTWARE PRODUCT FOR PRE-SELECTING A FOLDER FOR A MESSAGE
Application Number: 200503350-1

http://www.epatents.gov.sg/PE/TextSearch.asp?WhichQuery=2&WF=0&Display=Format02&SearchName=&NumType=AppNo&SearchNumber=&CheckDigit=&SubM=Title&SearchSubject=software&DisplayOrder=DESC&RecordPerPage=5

Harish Pillay wrote:
 I read up on Singapore's patent law. It has no specific mention of software
patents, but lawyers can re-word the 'process' used in the software in such
a way that it becomes a process that is broad/generic enough to the point
that the patent is granted that way as a 'utility patent' to the applicant.
(processing methods)

I think you are correct about the Singapore patent law.  I was speaking with an
"IP" lawyer two weeks about and asked about software patents and she did say
that it is not part of the law, but there is a way to do it.  I need
to do more work
to find out evidence of software patents in Singapore.

Harish